In the piece, writer David Samuels says he posed the question to Obama at a New York City fundraiser. And the president obliged.
“Although I like Kanye…He’s a Chicago guy. Smart. He’s very talented.”
When the president was reminded that he once called West a jackass, he doubled down on his assessment. “He is a jackass,” Obama reportedly said. “But he’s talented.”
Obama originally referred to Kanye as a “jackass” for interrupting Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the 2009 MTV Music Video Awards. West famously rushed the stage and took the mic from Swift to announce that Beyonce should be the rightful winner, not Swift.
During a CNBC interview, Obama was asked about the debacle. He spoke candidly, unaware that the cameras were still rolling.
“The young lady seems like a perfectly nice person, she’s getting her award,” Obama said. “What’s he doing up there? He’s a jackass.”
After the crew broke out in laughter, President Obama tried to pull back his remarks.
“All this stuff, I’m assuming, all this stuff… C’mon guys, cut the president some slack.” [See video below]
The president asked for no such slack this time around. –E. Parker, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- John Mayer Talks New Single ‘Who You Love’ and ‘That Photo’ with Katy Perry
- Kendrick Lamar & Dr. Dre Preview New Song in Commercial
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’
- Meet The Artists Of Hook Up #5
- Hot Right Now: Kanye West Has ‘Times’ Album Of The Year, Amanda Bynes Is Headed To Fashion School, & Drake Is Skipping Out On The Grammy Nomination Concert