The release date for Chris Brown‘s fifth studio album Fortune has been stalled. While fans were eagerly awaiting the originally scheduled May 8 drop date, the singer now promises to bring the heat in July.
While in Australia for a show at Sydney’s Acre Arena, Breezy took to Twitter to announce the new release date.
Team Breezy! The official album date for FORTUNE is July 3,2012!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Chris Brown(@chrisbrown) April 22, 2012
Brown has been building anticipation for Fortune with a string of videos and music he’s dropped online, including a few songs on which the singer flexed his rap skills. He released his “How I Feel” video in March. The pared down clip shows brown rapping into a camera from a seat in his private jet, apparently in flight. Magazines are stacked neatly nearby, as he raps in front of an open laptop.
The high-flying visuals for “How I Feel” dropped the same day he debuted to radio the traditional Brown-styled power ballad, “Sweet Love.”
Before he hit fans with an onslaught of tracks, he jumped-off his Fortune campaign with the release of his album art on March 1. On his new album cover, a bespectacled Chris Brown poses in a sleek blue suit, alongside futuristic symbols, meant to spell out “F-O-R-T-U-N-E.”
“Courtney Walter [Art Director] and Chris came up with the hieroglyphics that you see on the cover,” Fortune photographer Steven Gomillion, of Gomillion and Leupold, previously told CBS Local. “And the hieroglyphic writing is going to let the fans send coded messages to each other, like back in the day when you could get a decoder in a cereal box. There will be a way where you can let people decode messages. For the fans, it’s a good way to connect. It can be kind of romantic.”
Later, after releasing the Tweet about his new album date, Brown followed up with another Fortune message.
Being focused on the future is the real FORTUNE!
— Chris Brown(@chrisbrown) April 23, 2012
–E. Parker, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- [PHOTOS] Pet-A-Palooza 2013
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- John Mayer Talks New Single ‘Who You Love’ and ‘That Photo’ with Katy Perry
- Kendrick Lamar & Dr. Dre Preview New Song in Commercial
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’
- Meet The Artists Of Hook Up #5